So you’ve decided on LASIK surgery but are unsure of the questions you should ask your LASIK doctor? We’ve listed a few general questions that should help you get a deeper understanding of the practice and the doctor.
1. How many refractive procedures exactly like mine have you performed? (The surgeon should provide his/her personal numbers, not the numbers of the LASIK center.)
2. What percentage of your refractive surgery patients have uncorrected visual acuity of 20/40 or better?
3. What percentage of your refractive surgery patients have uncorrected visual acuity of 20/20 or better?
4. What percentage of your refractive surgery patients has had vision-threatening complications such as an infection?
5. If I’ll be seeing an optometrist for my pre- and postoperative care, can I see you any time without his authorization? Does the surgeon see me prior to releasing me to my optometrist’s care?
6. If I need an enhancement, will you charge me for the additional procedure?
7. When will you give me a copy of the informed consent?
8. Who determines the actual measurements that will be programmed into the Excimer laser to correct my vision?
9. Where is the surgeon based? Is he/she a local doctor with a local ophthalmology practice, or does he/she travel into town only for surgery?
10. Where is surgery performed? Is surgery performed in an eye surgery center, in a sterile environment, or simply in an office suite?
If you find that you have more questions about the LASIK procedure, please contact Dr. Liang – Center for Sight in Sacramento at 916-446-2020.
Your Optometrists Role
If you have an optometrist that you visit regularly and feel comfortable talking with, he/she may be able to provide you with additional information regarding LASIK and other vision correction procedures. Many optometrists can also perform your pre-surgical exam and provide you with your follow-up care after your LASIK surgery. This is called co-management.
If you are interested in pursuing a vision correction procedure with your optometrist’s assistance, we suggest that you ask him/her if they have met with Dr. Liang and if he has trained them in the co-management of vision correction procedures.
Listed here are several optometrists with whom Dr. Liang frequently co-manages patients. You are welcome to contact them for additional information on any vision correction procedure. If you would like the name of additional optometrists in your area, please contact us.